Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Possibilities

I have taught for a while now.  This is what...the beginning of my 8th year of teaching.

I've had 7 groups of my OWN kids, and one group of two entire grade levels at a school.  I've never had a group of children who have so...deeply CHANGED me.  My 16 kids this year have reached their dirty, sticky little fingers down into my soul and touched me in a way I never thought possible. 

I just...I think God brought them into my life at this exact time because they're what I needed.  They're teaching me patience.  I kind of lost my patience with a student today, and my voice got louder, and they looked at me like I was nuts.  While I am nuts, I think in past years I tended to YELL more when I needed attention.  I don't do that this year.  I find myself down on my knees talking to a student about a behavior rather than towering over them, and lowering my voice when I need to get attention or have a discussion with a child.  My students taught me that.

I've learned to be positive.  I put the positivity in my voice.  I get excited about what kids are learning and what I'm teaching.  I want my students to leave my classroom loving school.  My kiddos give me that desire.

Like any situation in life, I bond more with some children than others.  Adults do that, too.  I've bonded more with some colleagues than others.  I love them all, but I like some of them more than others. :)  My students are absolutely amazing, and I am blessed to have them in my life.  I hope that *I* am a blessing in theirs.  I hope that they are able to look back as adults and remember me as someone who made an impact in their lives.  A POSITIVE impact.  I hope they know that they are loved, and that I see the individual gifts and talents that each of them have.

1 comment:

  1. I have never thought about this from a teachers perspective. I always thought teachers just got new kids each year and didn't really bond with them in this way. I remember a few of my teachers that stuck out over the years, but I didn't think that individual kids could have made an impact on teachers. It's good to hear a teachers perspective!

    ReplyDelete